Thursday, December 27, 2007

My baby will be an American citizen very soon

Today was an emotional and important day for me. We went to the American Consulate with our group to get our babies visas. There are 12 people in my group but in this room there were 52 families. It's amazing how many chinese babies go home to the united states every day! I couldn't take pictures because you can't bring a camera inside the consulate.

The consulate gave us a speech and congratulated on us our adoption and said how magical it is that our babies will be us citizens when we reach american soil. My friend in my group and I got teary eyed during his speech. You have so many mixed emotions - even though I've been homesick the past few days, today I am having a hard time leaving China. On the bus ride back to the hotel Amaya fell asleep and I just soaked in all the sights of her homeland. It's bittersweet becuase you are happy to be bringing her home but sad for her that she is leaving her country behind. I am looking forward to raising her to be proud of her roots and tell her all about her country and this special trip.
I also want to take her to local events and celebrate chinese holidays. Another person in my group is from the Chicago area so we are going to stay in touch and get together! It's so great that our babies can grow up knowing each other!

This trip has been an amazing, emotional, and special experience. When I saw my baby for the first time, watched her sleep, fed her as she looked at me and reached for my hand, or when she cried for the first time and stopped when I picked her up - these are magical moments that make me get teary as I write them. I will treasure the moments of this trip in my heart forever and can't wait to show this blog to her someday!

Tonight we have to juggle packing, getting dinner, bathtime and play time!
We are going to test the benadryl tonight cuz she has a bad runny nose and we want to see how it works in case we need to use it on the flight. We are going to give it to her about 8:30 or 9 so hopefully she can have an early bedtime. Tomorrow we leave the hotel at 7am for the airport and get to beijing at 12:30 and then leave for chicago around 5 or so. Pray for us that we will have a smooth flight with happy baby, sleeping baby and nini and mommy, and no motion sickness for all! :-)

We can't wait to see everyone! We will need a while to get settled in and adjust to jet lag and then come on over! :-) See you soon!

No comments: