Monday, December 24, 2007

Mommy had her first mini breakdown






Okay so my last post was Saturday evening and I talked about our rough night the night before cuz 'maya stayed up so late and we had to be up for our morning flight to Guangzhou. Well my baby girl was so fussy that night - I think she was teething and overtired. From 9:30-12:00 nothing we did would calm her down. We tried feeding her, changing her diaper, music, walking her (that usually works) laying her down next to me, playing - she was so upset. Both nini and mommy were working on 4 hours of sleep and on the edge. I melted down and went in the hallway and called a friend and was sobbing on thier voicemail saying how I'm a bad mommy - why can't I get her to sleep, it's so hard, how am I going to able to do this every night, etc etc.
Finally we got her to sleep by walking her in the stroller. I was feeling like a failure as a mom because I couldn't comfort my baby.

The next morning I felt better and talked to my friend again and talked to people in my travel group. I still don't know why she was so fussy - another mom in our group said her baby was the same way one night - could be delayed grieving from the change in her world - who knows. I'm just happy she's back to her old self again and I know there will be more hard times like that ahead but we will get through them together and she knows I'm her mommy and I will be there with her through the hard times.

So after that rough night yesterday was much better. She was back to her happy self again.
We took her Visa photo -she looked so cute in her little dress and pink headband! and then we ate lunch at this diner that serves western food - I got to eat a grilled cheese and fries in China - YUM! then we went to this mall with our group not on the island where we are staying but in the city of guangzhou - our hotel is in Shamian Island in guangzhou and is more laidback, pedestrian friendly - lots of adoptive families with their babies, shops with things for the babies, beautiful scenery and parks. The city is cool too but busier and you can't walk there so we take vans and taxis when we do group excursions. So we went to this mall and I can't even begin to tell you how huge this mall was. It was 2 towers with 300 stores each and then a times square type plaza with big neon signs and KFC and Mcdonalds and TONS of people everywhere. Basically it's what I thought China would be like with the crowds but hadn't experienced it yet.
One of the towers was all jewelry - 300 stores of jewelry and the other was clothes and music, etc. I got lots of things to give Amaya from her country as presents as she grows up - a pearl necklace and earrings, a jade bracelet, traditional chinese outfits and one for me too, and a purse for both of us as well as gifts for others. I also bought her the cutest coat to wear here because she didn't have a fall type coat here and it's 60 degrees - its so cute! and we bought her chinese lullabies and kids music cd as well as a chinese CD for me. Yoli - it kind of reminds me of a Chinese Tarkan :-) Then we bought her a stuffed pig animal cuz she was born in the year of the pig.

So we had fun on our shopping adventure but then the real adventure began when we were ready to leave. We shopped till we dropped and were tired and hungry - it was about 6pm. Our group had left an hour earlier but whoever wanted to stay behind Dennis said we could just catch a cab. Well it was cold and rainy - Maya was fussy,mommy was crabby, and we spent half an hour trying to get a cab in the rain but everyone that went by was full. So we called dennis - thank god we had his number with us and a phone, and he said he would come and get us. He's the best - like magic he appears 2 seconds later. It turns out he dropped off the other people at the hotel and came back to check on those who had stayed behind. We would be lost without Dennis here and are so grateful to him for all his help to make our trip worry free and smooth.

We finally got back to the hotel, ate dinner, maya had some play time and miracously we got her to sleep by 10:30. she woke up at 6:30 today (monday - christmas eve here) and that' s the earliest she's ever woken up since we got her. We've had a busy day today so we are hoping she tires herself out and goes to bed early. I feel like we are making progress with her schedule but its futile because we have to start from scratch when we switch to chicago time - oh well she will get it eventually!

No comments: