Monday, December 24, 2007

A fun day in Guangzhou






Today is Monday - Christmas Eve in China. 'Maya went to bed last night at 10:30 - we were very happy and proud of her for going to bed earlier. She slept all through the night until 6am when she woke up crying. Usually I just rub her back and she goes back to sleep in a few minutes but not this time so I picked her up and laid her in the bed next to me. She was so incredibly sweet - she would look at me with her big beautiful eyes, so sleepy, and drift off but then turn her head to look at me again like she was making sure I was still there. You have to wonder what's going through the minds of our babies in our group and all the babies who are adopted from orphanages here or foster care. I think sometimes when she wakes up in the middle of the night - it hits her and she's disoriented - like where am I? you know when you are in a different house or hotel and sometimes you wake up and forget where you are for a second? I think she experiences that. It's the best feeling in the world when she stops crying when I pick her up or she reaches for my hand or she does this thing where she rubs her finger on your arm or picks at your shirt for comfort. She is the best baby in the world and the most amazing feeling to be a parent - i love her so much and can't believe I've only been with her for a week and a day - it feels like we have always been together.

Today we had a big day - we went to breakfast downstairs with a beautiful view. It's such a cool experience too because we see all other adoptive families- some who we met in airports or at walmart in nanchang. Everyone ends up here because this is where you get your baby's us visa. You see people you recognize on the streets and there are so many people from all over with chinese babies. I've met people from Holland who are adopting. Very cool!

So we had breakfast and then walked to the medical office where the babies get their medical exam for their visa. It was very crowded. 'maya has excellent hearing, she turns whenever she hears a toy make a sound. the dr told me she has eczema cuz she has a rash on her cheek and face that comes and goes. The dr told me just to wash her face with warm water - no soap or lotion. I have an appt with my pediatrician the first monday we get home so we'll see what she says.

Then after the appt we bought some cute clothes for her and 2 pairs of shoes - my baby doesn't have that many shoes so you know I had to do something about that! then we had lunch outside - grilled cheese again and then went to the zoo with people from our group. The zoo was so peaceful and pleasant. It's in a beautiful setting and we got to see the animals up close. my favorite was the panda! :-) 'maya had a good time too and nini loved it as well!
We were tired after the zoo but went straight to a thai restuarant for our group dinner with our guides, Simon and Dennis. Dennis gives the best speeches and gave a xmas eve speech. It was fun and the food was tasty.

then we went back to the hotel for some play time - I videotaped her - she is so funny, she always talks and cracks herself up making noises and playing with her toys. I wish I could post the video but didn't bring the equipment so I will try to post when we get home.
I also found out tonight that she is ticklish - I tickled her while sitting behind her and she laughed the hardest we've heard her laugh so far. I love her laugh - it's the cutest sound ever!

Now I am up here blogging while nini is playing with her. We are hoping for a 9:30 bedtime tonight - we shall see.

tomorrow we are going to see a temple with the group and then have free time to walk around and shop on the island. Then its optional to go on a group river cruise - I would love the views of the city from the water but we opted not to go since we both get seasick! We are going to have a leisurely christmas day and treat ourselves to starbucks so we can have a piece of home in China!

Merry Christmas to all and we will be thinking about you and miss and love you!

No comments: