Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Amaya is a social butterfly!

Our social calendar has been pretty busy these past few days! Friday, my friend Andrea came over with her 2 girls and we had fun times! Her 16 month old was so sweet and wanted to share her cookie with Amaya and put the whole thing in her mouth! Andrea caught it just in time! PHEW! We are going to go to the childrens museum together first week of February! It's so nice to have play dates and not be working! :-)

Then saturday we had our class and mommy and daddy had a date night! We had a great time together even though we missed our pumpkin pie, it's good to have couple time too! We havn't been having much of that these days cuz mommy is tired after the princess goes to bed at her late hour!

speaking of bedtimes, we are still having issues! Last week she was going to bed around 11 and waking up anywhere between 8 and 9 which is good for sleeping in but bad for when I have to go back to work. I was wishing for her to have an earlier bedtime but now that I have my wish, it's rough! Before she was sleeping anywhere between 9 and 10 hours at night, maybe waking up once or twice but for a short while. now 2 nights ago she went to bed at 8:30 - not by my doing, not sure why it was that early, but then she slept the whole night but woke up at 4:30am and stayed up! that was rough because I went to bed at 11! then she napped for 3 hours that morning! and 1.5 hrs in the afternoon. then last night she went to bed at 9:15 and woke up at 5:15 this morning, slept for an hour nap. We have a drs appointment tomorrow so I am going to see if she has any suggestions on having a consistent bedtime and about transitioning her to sleeping on her own. I still have to lay next to her or rock her to get her to sleep.
The dr said to treat her like a newborn and all the stuff I've read on sleep with adopted babies says it's okay to do that but then I read other things that make me worry she will never sleep on her own! It's so confusing. I don't feel comfortable leaving her alone to sleep yet and crying since we are still bonding and attaching. My friend gave me good advice because her biological son was just like Amaya and needed to be held or laid next to sleep (he had lots of health issues so we think that's why) and he slept in their bed but after 3 months they did the cry it out method and now he is sleeping on his own. I might try in a month or so just having her cry next to me in the crib and not picking her up. I don't feel comfortable leaving the room just yet. first we'll try that and then me leaving the room for a minute or two at a time. For now, I'm still going to rock and lay next to her - I just want the late nite bedtime back! :-) or a longer period of sleep! the orphanage told me she slept from 9pm to 7am - I have hope we will get back to that someday!

Anyway, back to our social calendar. So sunday we went to Latham's for Amaya to meet all his friends. They all thought she was adorable - which she is of course! We had an exciting day!
and she got a new toy that she LOVES - she pulls herself up to stand to play with it!

All is going well with playtime and eating - she loves waffles and today she had her first taste of blueberry muffin - YUMMY! She likes real food so much she doesn't want to have anything to do with the baby food jars anymore! Yesterday she had yam and mango cut up! DELICIOUS!

Well, that's all for now. Mommy is going to take a nap cuz daddy is here having daddy/daughter time! They're so cute together - he makes her laugh ALOT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Amy! It's Ginny! I love reading your updates and I have to give you a tip on the sleeping situation. There is a great book I read Good Night Sleep Tight. Basically, you let the baby cry it out while you are sitting in a chair right next to the crib, so they know you are there but you are not going to get them out of them crib. I used that with little Berkeley when he was one and it worked great. I would just sit next to the crib with my head down and he would cry and every once in a while I would say shh, shh, shh, lay down or something. Hope that helps!