Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Amazing Amaya's adventures

















Okay I had to practice my alliteration - teacher style - in preparation for going back to work in a month! :-)

Amaya continues to amaze me on a daily basis! She cracks me up and makes me smile so much!
She has mastered the art of crawling and can move very fast now. she pulls herself to stand using me, the couch, anything she can get her hands on. Her favorite things to go chase after are the cats of course, her balls, the remote control, my cel phone and me! I crawl around and she chases after me laughing hystericaly - it's so funny and cute!

Since we have gotten home from Florida we've been hanging out, playing, going to the mall with nini and lunch, playing at the mall, and playing in the snow! She was so funny, the first time I went out there with her she wasn't too sure about it. She laughed when I made a snow angel and threw a snowball. Then a few days later Latham was over and we all went out. He slid her down a hill of snow in my backyard and she thought that was too much fun! She even tried sliding herself down after that she loved it so much. Next winter I can't wait to go sledding for real with her! She got to play in the ocean and the snow in a matter of a week and a half - crazy huh?

This last sunday it was close to 50 degrees even though there are still mountains of snow all around, I was anxious to get outside and take her to the park. I wanted to take her to a park in florida with swings and we drove to one 15 min from my sister house but it was GHETTO with litter on the slide and shady people all around and dirty swings! so that didn't work.
so this day we took advantage of the weather and walked to the park by my house. I knew she would love the swings because of how she likes motion and she did. I have a video on my phone of her laughing and smiling with the swing! I wish I could put it on here! I can't wait to take her to the park more in the spring and summer and the pool! FUN!
One of my best friends Yoli and her niece Syanne came over the other night. Syanne and Amaya were playing and having fun together and they got to see Amaya's interpretive dancing to Bollywood music and Chinese music. Amaya LOVES music and will rock to it wherever she is. My cel phone rings with music, a toy that has music, anything - she will rock to it and have a big smile on her face. She pulls herself up to stand by the radio and has a look of pure pride and joy that she accomplished this feat and can touch all the buttons! One time she turned the volume up so loud she got freiked out and fell backward. she didn't like that but quickly recovered! :-)

She also amazes me with how she inititiates things now. She will see a book on the floor that I put out earlier for her with her toys and will pick it up and hand it to me and say "duh" until I read it to her. We will read it and she will do the same thing over again - 3 times or more. She never gets tired of hearing her favorite stories - they are touch and feel books or books that she can lift the flap - those are her favorites! She also recently started picking up her ball and throwing it to me to play catch. It's so cute the way she holds it and throws it and then we roll it back and forth.
So smart she is, every time she does something new like this I thank God that the lead hasn't hurt her development! With one of her touch and feel books, there is a lamb with wool and she will pick at the wool with her pincer grasp and then hand me the fuzz, even if there is nothing in her hands, she will continue to do this. She does the same thing with the rug in the bathroom when I am getting ready. I think she's giving me presents or something, or just wants me to feel the texture - it's funny!

The other day she made me laugh harder than I've ever laughed before - well it was a tie with the time Steph and I cracked up in our English class in high school. I still remember that moment, we were laughing so hard our stomachs hurt and we couldn't talk. I'm not going to say why - too embarrasing! Anyway, this was one of those times! I was in the kitchen cleaning out a bottle or doing something like that and the last time I checked (which was not even a minute before) she was in the living room playing. I have an open kitchen with a breakfast bar so I can see what's going on. I finished what I was doing and turned around and there Amaya was, her little face pressed up against the clear gate to the kitchen and she was making funny faces on the plexiglass part - blowing on it and licking it. I'm chuckling to myself as I am writing this and remembering. She was just standing there making funny faces at me and then tilting her head so she could see me. I bent down and pressed my face on the other side and she thought that was too funny! Everything makes her laugh, even when I sneeze!

It's good she's such a happy baby and so forgiving of mommy because I made a BIG mistake the other day! She isn't holding it against me and I thank God she's okay. I hadn't been strapping her in the high chair before because she wasn't mobile and didn't move around in it and she used to cry when I first did it and then didn't want to eat. So we got into a habit of this. Well the other day I turned my back while sitting next to the chair at the dining room table cutting her noodles and I heard a thump - I turn around and she is lying face down on the floor crying! I frieked out and picked her up, consoling her and she wouldn't stop crying - I mean crying harder than she ever has before. I'm frantically looking in my baby book about head injuries and shining a flashlight in her pupils, checking for signs of brain injury! I read the signs to look for and contemplated taking her to urgent care but after 10 minutes she was crawling around laughing again. I felt horrible and cried later that night to Latham about it. I still was checking her the rest of the night making sure she was okay! SCARY! She had an egg size bump too and a bruise! POOR BABY! I called my friend Andrea the other day who's a mom to a 3 year old and a 16 month old and told her I got the worst mother of the year award the other day and she said don't worry I've been there and made me feel better telling me stories where her kids have gotten injured - her 16 month old jumped out of the shopping cart at Target in the second that she unstrapped her when she was getting ready to leave! Let's just say I strap her in the high chair all the time now! :-)

I can't believe I go back to work in a month - the time is flying by and I am just treasuring all these moments I am having with her. I even am treasuring the nights where she is up and won't go back to sleep at midnight and I am so tired! That's the only stressor right now - her sleep situation. I am in the middle of reading a book called the no cry sleep situation because I am against letting her cry it out. I hope it helps me get her on a consistent bedtime and sleep better through the night. otherwise it's going to be rough with her going to bed late and waking up in the middle of the night and me having to wake up at 5am and teach all day. What will I do without my nap time? :-)

I am convinced Latham jinxes our sleep too. On the nights he is not here, she goes to sleep easy and will wake up about 2 times but I can get her back to sleep by bringing her in the bed and cuddling up with her. when he is here, she either stays up late, or wakes up and doesn't go back to sleep for an hour or two and then we end up getting in big arguments about how to help the sleep problem. It ends with yelling and bitterness toward each other - which I don't want my baby to be around either. I'm at the point where I don't even want him to sleepover anymore until we get it figured out. I think it's because he's not here every night and she gets excited to see him and it throws off her routine. either that or I give off a vibe to her of tension because I'm worried that we will conflict about her sleep. who knows. We are moving in with him in July so hopefully it will be better when she can see him every day. That's a whole other issue with getting her used to being in her own room but we will not worry about that until the time comes! For now I appreciate those nights where she sleeps well! I have been locking the cats out of the BR too becuase they kept waking me up and crawling on me and too close to her. It's alot more peaceful without them in there making all kinds of noise! I felt bad at first but I got over it really quick once I experienced a cat free night of sleep! :-)

Well thats all the happenings for now. Tomorrow we are going to our gym class at gymboree for the first time (even though I signed up a month ago - between sleep problems, sicknesses, florida trip, we always miss it) so hopefully the sleep will go good and we will make it there in the morning. then we are going to the childrens museum with Andrea and her girls - I'm excited to take Amaya there! Friday we are hanging out with my friend holly and her baby and then next week finishing preparations for her big bday party! I got her the cutest dress and birthday princess crown at babies r us - I can't wait to see her in it. You know there will be bday pics posted for sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy,

Hang in there with the sleep. Yes, changes are hard on little ones but easier on them then us. Have you let Latham do the bed time routine with her? It may help little one to realize it is not play time when he is around. I have also seen a teq. that you sit in the room but do not engage the child after your one time of re assuring them it is okay and bed time. and you move slowly out of the room getting closer to the door till you are out.
My darling hushband has a hard time with little ones crying also. We see how he does at the end of the month when it is our child and not a nephew.
Thank you for sharing your blog when you went to China and still.

Stacy B.
yahoo group...