Friday, February 16, 2007

Gung Hay Fat Choy!

It's almost Chinese New Year and I wonder what is going on in baby Amaya's foster home or orphanage! A friend of mine visits China often and her boyfriend lives there as well. She teaches 2nd grade at the school where I teach kindergarten. She invited us to her classrooom yesterday to teach us about Chinese New Year. My students loved it! They invited my class because they know I am adopting a baby from China and they wanted to teach me the traditions so I can pass them down to baby. How cute is that! :-)

I learned that everyone cooks and cleans the day before New Year's Day. There is no cooking or cleaning on New Year's Day. They sweep away all the bad luck before New Year's Day and don't want to chance sweeping away any good luck on that day. Everyone wears red, red symbolizes good luck! They go out and buy a new outfit before the holiday as well. They bring oranges to their families' homes for good luck also. They wrap all their knives on New Year's Day and don't do any cutting - it's bad luck. Children recieve red envelopes with money in them. Children don't get yelled at on Sunday because they believe if they yell at them sunday they will get yelled at all year. Also there is no crying because then it is believed that you will be sad for a whole year. Children stay up all night - it is believed the longer they stay up the longer their parents will live. The holiday is celebrated for 10 days and there is no school or work for 7 days!

I wonder if there will be any referrals at the beginning of March due to the CCAA being closed for the holiday. I am thinking that there will be less referrals if any that month. I am getting more anxious because I know I am in the home stretch! After waiting 2 years, what's a few more months right? :-) I am hoping for a May or June referral!

Only time will tell when that referral will come so for now I am just praying about it and trusting in God's timing. Today I went out and bought a red shirt to wear on Sunday and I bought baby Amaya a new outfit in honor of Chinese New Year as well. I think it is going to be the famous "red couch" outfit. It's so cute, I bought it at gymboree and told the lady my story. She was excited for me. They have a 6 month return policy in case it doesn't fit, so that's good!

No comments: